All prepaid electricity meters around the world, including those in Nigeria, currently operate on software that has a scheduled expiration date of November 24, 2024. This is known as the TID Rollover.CONTINUE READING>>>>>
When this happens, the current software on all prepaid meters will no longer be supported. All STS model prepaid meters on the Ikeja Electric (IE) network need to be upgraded before this date, otherwise they will lose the functionality to add credit and maintain electricity supply after November 1, 2023 when IE will initiate its TID Rollover process.
This article provides comprehensive information on how IE customers with STS prepaid meters can complete the required upgrade before the TID Rollover occurs.
Identifying If You Have an STS Prepaid Meter
To identify if you have an STS model meter that requires upgrading, check if 20-digit token numbers are generated each time you purchase and add credit to your meter.
If your meter does generate these 20-digit tokens, then it is an STS model that needs to be upgraded before the November 2024 TID Rollover.
Overview of the STS Meter Upgrade Process
The upgrade process consists of two key steps that all STS prepaid meter customers must complete:
- Validate your National Identification Number (NIN)
- Initiate the STS meter upgrade process
Both of these steps must be completed before November 1, 2023 in order to maintain electricity supply. Details on each step are provided below.
Step 1: Validating Your NIN
To begin, you need to validate and link your National Identification Number (NIN) to your STS meter number. This provides the verification required to generate the necessary tokens for upgrading your meter.
Follow these instructions to validate your NIN:
- Go to the IE NIN validation website: https://smartkyc.ikejaelectric.com/nin
- Click on the button “Link Your NIN and Meter”
- Input your phone number, NIN, and email address into the required fields.
- Carefully verify that the NIN details returned are correct, then click “Next” to proceed.
- Input your meter number and the verification code sent to your email address.
- Click the “Submit” button to complete linking your NIN to your meter.
Please note the following important points about NIN validation:
- Each meter can only have one NIN linked to it. The exception is landlords who have multiple meters, as they can use their individual NIN for all meters.
- Your personal information is kept completely confidential by IE throughout this process.
Once you have successfully validated your NIN, you can proceed to Step 2.
Step 2: Upgrading Your STS Meter
Upon completion of Step 1, you are now eligible to initiate the upgrade process for your STS meter.
Beginning November 1, 2023, when you purchase and add credit to your meter, you will receive three separate sets of 20-digit token numbers:
- Key Change Token 1 (KCT 1): This token resets and wipes your meter’s current software.
- Key Change Token 2 (KCT 2): This token upgrades your meter to the new STS software platform.
- Energy Token: This token adds the credit you have purchased to your meter.
To successfully upgrade your STS meter, you must input these tokens in the proper sequence:
A) Enter Key Change Token 1 FIRST. This will reset and wipe the old software from your meter.
B) Enter Key Change Token 2 SECOND. This will upgrade your meter to the new STS software.
C) Enter the Energy Token LAST. This adds and applies the credit you have purchased to your upgraded meter.
It is crucial to input the tokens in the proper order of KCT 1, KCT 2, and then the Energy Token for the upgrade to complete successfully.
Please note that only customers who have completed the NIN validation in Step 1 will receive the Key Change Tokens (KCT 1 and KCT 2) required to initiate the upgrade. The Energy Token to add credit is provided to all customers as usual.
Failure to upgrade your STS meter before November 1, 2023 will result in disruption of electricity service and inability to add further credit.
Seeking Assistance with the Upgrade Process
If you have any issues, questions, or concerns about the NIN validation or upgrade process, you may contact IE customer support through the following channels:
- By phone at 01-7000250 or 01-2272940
- By email at [email protected]
The upgrade to new software is crucial for maintaining the functionality of your STS prepaid meter and avoiding service interruption. IE’s customer service team are experts on this process and can provide any needed support.
Summary of Key Points
To conclude, here is a summary of the key information in this article regarding upgrading your STS prepaid electricity meter:
- All prepaid meters globally will expire on November 24, 2024 due to the TID Rollover software expiration
- IE customers with STS meters, identified by 20-digit token numbers, must upgrade before November 1, 2023
- Step 1 is validating your NIN at https://smartkyc.ikejaelectric.com/nin
- Step 2 is initiating the meter upgrade, which requires entering three tokens in the proper order:
- KCT 1 to reset old software
- KCT 2 to upgrade to new STS software
- Energy Token to add credit
- Upgrade eligibility requires completing NIN validation in Step 1 first
- Contact IE customer support if you need assistance with the process
Completing the two-step upgrade process before November 2023 will ensure your STS prepaid meter continues functioning properly beyond the TID Rollover deadline. Please act well before the deadline to avoid service interruptions. CONTINUE READING>>>>>