The much anticipated final shortlist for the 2023 African Player of the Year awards has been formally revealed by the Confederation of African Football (CAF). CAF released a list of the top ten players competing for the coveted prize on X on Friday. CONTINUE FULL READING>>>>>
Leading the group is Victor Osimhen, who made a name for himself in the football world during the 2022–2023 season. Osimhen was instrumental in leading Napoli to their first Serie A championship in thirty-three years. His outstanding efforts did not go unappreciated, as he became the first Nigerian to enter the top ten in history by taking the eighth spot in the Ballon d’Or rankings.
The battle for the African Player of the Year title intensifies as Osimhen faces stiff competition from established stars like Mohamed Salah of Egypt, Sadio Mane of Senegal, and Algeria’s Riyad Mahrez. These players, synonymous with excellence on the field, represent a formidable challenge for Osimhen.
Here is the final Shortlist for the 2023 CAF men’s Player of the year award.
1. Riyad Mahrez (Algeria, Al Ahli)
2. Mohamed Salah (Egypt, Liverpool)
3. Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa (Cameroon, SSC Napoli)
4. Achraf Hakimi (Morocco, Paris Saint-Germain)
5. Vincent Aboubacar (Cameroon, Besiktas)
6. Sofyan Amrabat (Morocco, Manchester United)
7. Yassine Bounou (Morocco, Al Hilal)
8. Youssef En-Nesyri (Morocco, Sevilla)
9. Victor Osimhen (Nigeria, SSC Napoli)
10. Sadio Mane (Senegal, Al Nassr)
The Awards Gala is billed for Monday, 11 December 2023 in Marrakech, Morocco. Osimhen is widely considered the frontrunner for the award. His accomplishments include clinching the Italian Scudetto with Napoli and securing the top scorer award in the league last season. CONTINUE FULL READING>>>>>